There’s something inherently captivating about magnets—those seemingly magical forces of attraction. From childhood play to adult tech accessories, magnets never cease to amaze. In the realm of tech, Apple’s MagSafe takes magnetism to a new level, transforming your iPhone into a versatile hub for a range of magnetic accessories. No wires, no fuss—just a satisfying click as your accessory locks into place.
MagSafe is Apple’s innovative accessory system integrated into iPhone models ranging from the iPhone 12 to the latest iPhone 15. With a ring of magnets on the phone’s back (and in compatible MagSafe cases), you can effortlessly attach various magnetic accessories. Whether it’s a battery pack, wallet, or even a webcam mount, MagSafe opens up a world of possibilities for enhancing your iPhone’s functionality.
Updated for September 2023: We’ve expanded our list to include top accessories from ESR, Belkin, iOttie, Nomad, Moft, Casetify, Ohsnap!, Oakywood, and Peak Design.
Get WIRED for Just $5: As a special offer for Gear readers, you can now enjoy a WIRED subscription for only $5, a $25 discount. This subscription includes unlimited access to WIRED.com, comprehensive Gear coverage, and exclusive subscriber newsletters. Your subscription helps support our ongoing work.
First Things First: Get a MagSafe Case Apple Silicone and FineWoven MagSafe Cases If you’re averse to using a case, you can skip this recommendation. However, if you value protection for your iPhone 12, iPhone 13, or iPhone 14, don’t settle for just any case. Standard cases can weaken the magnetic attachment between your iPhone and MagSafe accessories. Opt for a MagSafe case instead, like the official ones from Apple. These cases feature a reliable ring of magnets inside, ensuring a secure connection. You can choose from silicone options or explore Apple’s new FineWoven cases, crafted from recycled materials and available in a variety of colors. These cases maintain tactile buttons, precise port cutouts, and comprehensive protection for your device. Keep in mind that the silicone case may attract dust and lint, while the FineWoven case might scuff and discolor over time.
For more case options, check out our comprehensive guides: Best iPhone 14 Cases, Best iPhone 13 Cases, and Best iPhone 12 Cases. We’re currently testing iPhone 15 cases, so stay tuned for our recommendations.
Grab a MagSafe Charger First- and Third-Party Chargers Many brands offer MagSafe wireless chargers that closely resemble Apple’s official charger. Here are some models we’ve tested and recommend. Note that most chargers don’t include a power adapter, so make sure you have one with at least 20 watts for optimal performance.
- Apple MagSafe Charger for $39: Apple’s official charger delivers the fastest charging (15 watts) by precisely aligning with your iPhone. However, its 3-foot cable might limit your phone usage while charging unless you’re close to an outlet.
- Sonix Magnetic Link Wireless Charger for $25: Sonix solves the short cable issue with a 6.5-foot cord, making it easier to use your phone while charging. It offers slightly slower charging than Apple’s charger but comes in a variety of fun colors and designs.
- Spigen ArcField MagSafe Charger for $27: Spigen’s charger provides 7.5-watt charging, slightly slower than Apple’s official charger, and doesn’t include a power adapter. Some users find its cable to be on the flimsy side.
- Courant Mag:1 Classics for $80: Despite Courant’s claims, this charger charges your iPhone at 7.5 watts, similar to other third-party MagSafe chargers. However, it boasts a luxurious design with Italian leather and matte aluminum. The 6-foot braided cord offers ample length. If you opt for the Mag:1 Essentials version, you can get a linen material variant for $43. It includes a travel pouch but no charging adapter.
- Nomad Base One With MagSafe for $100: Nomad’s square wireless charger supports the maximum 15-watt charging speed. It’s not designed for phone use while charging but offers precise alignment and stability. Nomad provides a USB-C-to-USB-C cable but no power adapter.
Charge All Your Apple Gear Belkin 3-in-1 Wireless Charger With MagSafe If you’re juggling an iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods with wireless charging support, this tree-like wireless charger is a game-changer. It efficiently charges all three devices, including your iPhone at the fastest 15-watt speed. It’s a must-have if you own these devices or any wireless earbuds that support wireless charging. Belkin also offers a pad version with MagSafe support for AirPods, but it takes up more space. The floating design is not just practical; it’s downright magical. Explore more options in our Best 3-in-1 Apple Chargers guide.
Alternative: Consider the Twelve South HiRise 3 Deluxe ($150) if you want to utilize iOS 17’s new Standby mode. This charger transforms your iPhone into a bedside alarm clock when placed in landscape orientation. It supports the max 15-watt charging speed and provides an unobstructed view of your iPhone, making it ideal for this feature. The charger includes a flip-up Apple Watch charger and space for AirPods or another phone.
A 2-in-1 Charger Belkin BoostCharge Pro 2-in-1 For those seeking to charge their wireless earbuds, such as AirPods, alongside their iPhone, this 2-in-1 charger is the perfect solution. Belkin’s smart design features a sleek metallic post connecting the MagSafe charging pad to a stable base, available in black or white. It delivers a rapid 15-watt charging rate and accommodates iOS 17’s StandBy mode, ideal for transforming your iPhone into a bedside alarm clock.
With the best MagSafe accessories, you can enhance your iPhone’s functionality, streamline your charging setup, and add a touch of magic to your tech experience. Whether it’s cases, chargers, or versatile 2-in-1 options, MagSafe offers a world of magnetic possibilities for your iPhone.